Monday, September 9, 2019

Idioms with 'B'

Bad mouth: Say unkind, unflattering, embarrassing (and probably untrue) things about someone.
A: "I can't believe what Sandra just said. Why is she always bad-mouthing me?"
B: "Sandra probably must be jealous of your success."

Be a piece of cake: Be very easy.
A: "Rita said the examination was difficult, but I think it was a piece of cake."

Be all ears: Be eager to hear what others have to say.
A: "I just got a letter from our old friend Sally."
B: "Tell me all about it. I'm all ears!"





Be broke: Be without money.
"I can't lend you 20 dollars because I'm completely broke until I get my next paycheck."

Be fed up with: (with someone or something): Be out of patience (with someone or something); be very tired of someone or something.
"Bob, you are very careless with your work. I'm fed up with you always apologizing for your mistakes!"

Be in and out: Be at and away from a place during a particular event or time.
"Can we postpone our meeting until next Saturday? I will be in and out of the office most of the day this week."


Be on the go: Be very busy (going from one job or project to another).
"I'm really exhausted. I've been on the go all week long."

Be on the road: To be traveling.
"You won't be able to see me until next week because I'll be on the road all week."

Be over: Be finished; end.
"She can't see you until 5 o'clock. Her meeting won't be over until then."

Be up and running: Be up and running: (for a technological process) be operational; be ready to use .
"English Planet blog has been up and running for all English learners since 2018."

Be used to: (+Ving/noun): be accustomed to; not uncomfortable with.
"It won't be difficult to wake up at 5:00 a.m.. I'm used to getting up very early."

Beat: Exhausted; very tired (adjective).
"This has been a long day. I'm beat!"

Beat around the bush: Avoid giving a direct answer, evade an issue; change the subject.
"Stop beating around the bush! If you don't want to let me use your care, just tell me!"

Beat one's brains out: Try very hard to understand or do something.
"Can you help me with this balance sheet? I've been beating my brains out with it for more than an hour, but I just can't solve it."


Beats me: I have no idea or clue.
A: "When is Sandra going to get married?"
B: "Beats me!"

Before long: Soon; shortly.
A: "I'm really tired of waiting."
B: "Just relax. She will be here before long.

Bent out of shape: Needlessly worried about something.
"I know you're worried about your trip, but don't get bent out of shape. You are going to do just fine."

Bite off more than one can chew: Take on responsibility more than one can handle.
"I'm really behind with my project. Can you help me? I'm afraid I

bit off more than I could chew!"

Blabbermouth: A very talkative person--especially one who says things that should be kept secret.
"Don't say anything to Sandra unless you want the whole office to know. Sandra is quite a blabbermouth."

Blow one's top: Become extremely angry.
A: "Was your mother angry when you came home late?"
B: "She was more than angry. She blew her top!"

Boom box: portable cassette/CD player.
"Don't forget to bring your boom box to the party!"

No comments:

Post a Comment