Monday, September 9, 2019

Idioms with 'A'

Ace: Get an "A" on a test, homework assignment, project, etc.
"Somebody said you aced the test, Frank. That's awesome!"

All right (1): Expression of reluctant agreement.
A: "Come to the movies with me. Please!"
B: "Oh, all right. I don't want to, but I will."

All right (2): Fair; not particularly good.
A: "How's your physics class?"
B: "It's all right, I guess, but it's not the best class I've ever had."

All right (3): Unharmed; in satisfactory condition.
A: "You don't look normal. Are you all right?"
B: "Yes, but I have a fever."

And then some: And much more besides.
A: "I'd guess your new computer cost about $3,000."
B: "It cost that much and then some because I also bought extra RAM and VRAM."



Antsy: Restless; impatient and tired of waiting.
"I hope Sandra calls soon. Just sitting around and waiting is making me antsy."

As easy as pie: Very easy.
"I thought you said this was a difficult problem. It isn't. In fact, it's as easy as pie."

At the eleventh hour: At the last minute; almost too late.
"Yes, I got the job done in time. I finished it at the eleventh hour, but I wasn't late.

No comments:

Post a Comment