Monday, March 18, 2019

English Speaking Basics - Section II - Part 1

English Speaking Basics II is for English speaking beginners who need help to understand the basics of speaking English.  You will find very simple phrases and expressions to help you with your English speaking.



This second section part 1 contains the next 15 lessons.

I'm calling to + (verb)
When using the words 'I'm calling' you are stating that you are actually using the phone to call and relay information.

Here are some examples:
"I'm calling to tell you about my day."
"I'm calling to accept your invitation."
"I'm calling to answer your question."
"I'm calling to book a reservation at your restaurant."
"I'm calling to complain about something."
"I'm calling to thank you."
"I'm calling to support your decision."
"I'm calling to remind you of our dinner plans."
"I'm calling to report a lost wallet."
"I'm calling to receive my prize."


I'm working on + (noun)
'I'm' is a contraction for the words 'I am.' The phrase 'working on' relays a physical or mental effort towards an accomplishment.

Here are some examples:
"I'm working on a big project."
"I'm working on training my dog."
"I'm working on making new friends."
"I'm working on educating myself."
"I'm working on my homework."
"I am working on painting a house."
"I am working on a new idea."
"I am working on my computer."
"I'm working on my website."

I'm sorry to + (verb)
Saying you are 'sorry to' expresses a feeling of sympathy or regret.

Here are some examples:
"I'm sorry to be so late."
"I'm sorry to hear about your sick mother."
"I'm sorry to waste your time."
"I'm sorry to make you feel so sad."
"I'm sorry to frighten you."
"I'm sorry to disagree with your decision."
"I'm sorry to call so late."
"I'm sorry to admit what I did."
"I'm sorry to end this relationship."




I'm thinking of + (verb-ing)
'Thinking' refers to a process of thought, forming an opinion or judgment. When expressing 'I am thinking of' you are letting someone know what you are personally thinking.

Here are some examples:
"I'm thinking of checking out the new movie."
"I'm thinking of filming my vacation."
"I'm thinking of following a healthy diet."
"I'm thinking of handing out flyers describing our business."
"I'm thinking of increasing my work load."
"I am thinking of introducing myself to him."
"I am thinking of launching a new website."
"I am thinking of moving to a new city."
"I am thinking of offering her the position."
"I am thinking of opening up a store."

I'll help you + (verb)
This lets you inform someone that you are willing to provide assistance. This could refer to something physical or mental, like helping someone to 'think' or 'remember' something.

Here are some examples:
"I'll help you cook dinner tonight."
"I'll help you raise money for your charity."
"I'll help you register for your class online."
"I'll help you move to your new house."
"I'll help you prevent that from happening again."
"I will help you park your car."
"I will help you provide all the information you need."
"I will help you realize your potential."
"I will help you stop smoking."
"I will help you shop for groceries."

I'm dying to + (verb)
When using the word 'dying' in this manner you are referring to wanting or desiring something greatly.

Here are some examples:
"I'm dying to relax on the beach."
"I'm dying to pick some fresh fruit."
"I'm dying to order some desserts."
"I'm dying to find out if I got the job."
"I'm dying to move to a bigger house."
"I'm dying to look at all the work you've done."
"I'm dying to learn more about you."
"I'm dying to introduce you to my parents."
"I'm dying to expand my business."
"I'm dying to check my score on the test."

It's my turn to + (verb)
The word 'It's' is a contraction of the words 'it is.' When stating 'my turn' you are telling someone that it is time to change position or position focuses on to you.

Here are some examples:
"It's my turn to walk you home."
"It's my turn to do laundry."
"It's my turn to work late."
"It's my turn to take out the trash."
"It's my turn to choose where we eat."
"It is my turn to pay for dinner."
"It is my turn to roll the dice."
"It is my turn to provide an answer."
"It is my turn to try and play the game."
"It is my turn to attempt solving the problem."

It's hard for me to + (verb)
When saying that something is 'hard for me' you are informing someone that what you are talking about is difficult or challenging for you.

Here are some examples:
"It's hard for me to accept what you are telling me."
"It's hard for me to argue your point."
"It's hard for me to balance my check book."
"It's hard for me to concentrate on the task."
"It's hard for me to consider your other options."
"It's hard for me to depend on you."
"It is hard for me to decide where to go tonight."
"It is hard for me to explain my actions."
"It is hard for me to guarantee your success."
"It is hard for me to handle so much pressure."




I'm having a hard time + (verb-ing)
By stating you are having a hard time you are letting someone know you are having difficulty with something. This could be something physical or mental and something that could be overcome with effort.

Here are some examples:
"I'm having a hard time writing."
"I'm having a hard time understanding you."
"I'm having a hard time answering your question."
"I'm having a hard time downloading songs to my iPod."
"I'm having a hard time agreeing to the terms."

With the addition of an adverb you can express in more detail just how difficult something is for you.

Here are some examples:
"I'm having an extremely hard time trusting you."
"I'm having an extremely hard time with my wife."
"I'm having a very hard time finding a job."
"I'm having a very hard time finding parts for my car."

I think I should + (verb)
Here you are telling someone that you feel strongly about doing a particular action.

Here are some examples:
"I think I should practice my reading."
"I think I should join a study group."
"I think I should handle this as soon as possible."
"I think I should earn my degree."
"I think I should explain myself."

By adding the word 'don't' you have changed what you are conveying from something you are thinking of doing, to something you are against.

Here are some examples:
"I do not think I should complain so much."
"I do not think I should attend that event."
"I do not think I should borrow more money."
"I do not think I should doubt you."
"I do not think I should decide until later."

I've heard that + (subject + verb)
You are letting someone know that you are aware of something or that you have been informed of something that is taking place. This could be something that has already happened or something happening in the near future. 'I've' is a contraction of the words 'I have.'

Here are some examples:
"I've heard that you got a new job."
"I've heard that you want to leave your job."
"I've heard that you got a new car."
"I've heard that you like to jog."
"I've heard that you fix computers."
"I've heard that you've never been to Canada."
"I've heard that you like to shop."
"I've heard that you and your boss don't get along."
"I've heard that there is no school next week."
"I've heard that your wife is a yoga instructor."

It occurred to me that (subject + verb)
The word 'occurred' informs someone that something has come to mind or has been found. You are letting someone know that you suddenly have thought or remembered about something.




Here are some examples:
"It occurred to me that I forgot your birthday."
"It occurred to me that we both belong to the same gym."
"It occurred to me that we enjoy a lot of the same things."
"It occurred to me the price for homes are more expensive here."
"It occurred to me that eating healthy makes me feel better."

Using the word 'had' or 'has' can change what you are saying to represent something remembered in a past time.

Here are some examples:
"It had occurred to me that I forgot something at the grocery."
"It had occurred to me I might need to change my email address."
"It has occurred to me I forgot my mom's birthday."
"It has occurred to me before."

Let me + (verb)
'Let me' is suggesting that you are asking for permission or an opportunity to do something.

Here are some examples:
"Let me make my own decisions."
"Let me offer to help you."
"Let me open the door for you."
"Let me pause and think about what we are doing."
"Let me welcome you to the neighborhood."
"Let me save you the trouble."
"Let me make a suggestion."
"Let me try and fix your car."
"Let me taste the soup before you add more spices."
"Let me treat you to some ice cream."

Thank you for
Saying 'thank you' is telling someone you appreciate what they have done. This can either be something they did for you or for someone else.

Here are some examples:
"Thank you for inviting me."
"Thank you for helping me move."
"Thank you for informing me about the job opening."
"Thank you for mailing that package for me."
"Thank you for working so hard."
"Thank you for stopping by to visit."
"Thank you for replying to my email."
"Thank you for providing me with the answers."
"Thank you for heating up dinner."
"Thank you for hurrying to get here."

Can I + (verb)
When ending a sentence with a question mark (?) you are asking the person or people you are talking to a question for which you would like an answer. Here you are asking permission to do a particular action.

Here are some examples:
"Can I answer your question?"
"Can I attend the event?"
"Can I move to another spot?"
"Can I call you tomorrow?"
"Can I complete this later?"
"Can I explain myself?"
"Can I help you with your homework?"
"Can I include you in our plans?"
"Can I introduce you to my co-workers?"
"Can I inform you of some bad news?"

Can I get + (noun)
The phrase 'Can I get' can be used in a couple different ways. You can use it to ask a question.

Here are some examples:
"Can I get a cup of water?"
"Can I get a dog?"
"Can I get lunch?"
"Can I get sugar in my coffee?"
"Can I get popcorn at the movie?"

You can also use it when offering to help someone or do something for them.

Here are some examples:
"Can I get you another drink?"
"Can I help you move that?"
"Can I recommend a good place to eat?"
"Can I take you home?"
"Can I help you finish your project?"

....... Click here for part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment