Monday, February 4, 2019

Prepositions of Time

Use of Prepositions of Time

Prepositions are the most confusing and difficult part of grammar because almost every definition of a preposition has exceptions and different meanings. There is no better technique to grasp the correct use of prepositions other than practicing to picture how each preposition functions in certain contexts. There are some certain common uses and expressions of different prepositions.

Prepositions of Time Usage

Prepositions of time show the relationship of time between the nouns to the other parts of a sentence.

Common preposition of time: On, at, in, from, to, for, since, ago, before, till/until, by, etc. are the most common.


AT, ON, IN

AT:
At always indicates an exact and specific time.

Example:
I started working at 10 AM.
The movie starts at 6 PM.
The shop closes at 30 AM.
Note: Exceptions are that we say – at the weekend, at night, at Chrismas, at Easter, at the moment, etc.

ON:
On generally indicates a fixed date or a day.

Example:
I’ll see her on Friday.
He broke a record on Monday morning.
I have a meeting on 25 October.

IN:
In generally indicates an indefinite and unspecific time of months, seasons, years, centuries, etc.

Example:
I will get a holiday in December.
Murphy was born in 2001.
I love playing cricket in summer.
Note: Some very common exceptions are – in the morning, in the evening, in the afternoon, in five minutes, in six days, in two years, etc.

FROM....TO ,  UNTIL,  SINCE,  FOR

From....to:
From....to  indicates a fixed time-span with the beginning and the end.

Example:
I worked there from 2010 to 2017.
I usually work from Saturday to Thursday.
I will stay there from 10 AM to 6 PM.

UNTIL/TILL:
Until/till indicates a specific or unspecific time/event up to a point.

Example:
They will not return until Friday
Wait for me until I return.
I do not give up until I have succeeded.
I will be there until Monday.

SINCE:
Since indicates a time-span beginning in a time in the past and still continuing in the present (now).

Example:
Alex has been in the village since Sunday.
He has been suffering from fever since Friday.
Robin and Susan have been friends since childhood.

FOR:
For indicates a period of time (amount of time) in the past, present or future.

Example:
He stayed there for four days.
I will be staying there for five months.
I will work with them for a year.
He was standing there for a long time.

BEFORE, AFTER, DURING, BY

BEFORE:
Before indicates a prior event/ period of time from a point.

Example:
Robin was very nervous before the interview.
I want to leave before lunch.
These batsmen should not get out before the tea break.
Before going, close all the window.

AFTER:
After indicates a following event/period of time from a point. This preposition is the exact opposite of before.

Example:
Robin felt confident after the interview.
I want to leave after lunch.
After playing football, we went home.

DURING:
During indicates a period of time throughout the course or duration of any event or action.

Example:
Robert was sleeping during the film.
They don’t talk during dinner.
I don’t usually smoke during office time.

BY:
By means ‘within the extent or period of; during’ something.

Example:
I will complete the assignment by Sunday.
He will return by 6 PM.
I will submit the list by 11 AM.

Published By 

No comments:

Post a Comment